Our family loves to get out in the summer – hikes, splash pads, soccer fields just to name a few! Trying to keep the kids entertained throughout the entire summer can get expensive so while I was off on my last maternity leave I did a lot of research into activities I could do with my kids that would be free. I was shocked at the amount of fantastic places there were in my community and surrounding areas!
Here is our top five list of favourite places to go to that have no additional costs.
1. Local library : Local libraries usually hosts a huge variety of events through out the summer. We went to movie days, bingo, colouring contests and live animal shows. My kids had so much fun! Some of the events you have to pre-register for but they are well worth it. More information on the program usually comes out later in June but keep your eyes peeled! They also run a great reading program in conjunction with TD Canada Trust. He would read a book over the week and then go in and tell an older child all about the book.
2. Local splash pads: These provide hours, upon hours of fun! We pack up lunches, extra clothes, sunscreen and spend several hours there. There is a huge list of splash pads that you should really check out. Children love to get out and play, throw in fun splash pads and it is a win-win!
3. Local Beaches: Beach front trails are perfect to walk down during the summer months with their great view of the water and the city. We also love heading down to the beach to throw rocks into the water.
4. Parls: Head out to your local park and get moving. Make up mini Olympic events, play matches but just get active.
5. Hiking: Pack snacks and maybe the wagon for tired kids and get out there and walk!
What are your favourite summer activities in your community?