- Email links : How many emails have you received asking you to click on the included link to verify accounts or the email, etc…Be wary if you do not recognize the account or if it looks suspicious. Don’t ever open any links from accounts you do not know!
- Email threats: Do you constantly get emails threatening to close your accounts if you do not click the provided link? Don’t respond but if you are really concerned and you use the company give them a call to see if the email is valid. Better safe than sorry!
- Spoofing companies and popular websites: These fake sites look so real but be careful if it doesn’t look right – exit and start over.
- Security software: Look into installing additional software that will help protect you against these malicious sites (ESET Smart Security 6 is perfect for this!).
- Educate your children! This is very important and should be done before allowing your child access to computers, iPads and mobile phones. Our children should be educated in how to identify scams, malware and how to be aware of predators. You should spend time talking with your child and getting to know their patterns online. Let them know that they can come to you when something happens online that they feel uncomfortable with.
- Educate ourselves. I’m not even going to pretend like my eldest son isn’t insanely smarter then me when it comes to computers! He is a little genius! I find myself now re-learning everything I can about social media and it’s platforms and the preferred websites for pre-teens and teens. ESET even has Cyber Security Education as part of their product.
- Set those parental controls! They are there for a reason -use them! It is one further step we can take to ensure the safety of our children.
- Block an entire category of website if you feel strongly against. It will save you a lot of time worrying whether or not your child has listened to you.
- Set parental controls on your network. Go right to the source and block it from there.
Pretty incredible right? And this is just touching the surface! Not only is the program an antivirus system but it also functions to:
- Theft protection and location tracking – you can even block files and turn on the webcam remotely if your laptop is stolen
- Powerful firewall to prevent hackers from accessing your computer.
- Anti-phising to protect you from accessing fake websites.
- Customizable settings and parental controls.
- You can even extend your protection to Facebook!
I am very impressed with my new ESET Smart Security 6 software and all the extra protection it extends to my family and I. Even more exciting is that not only has the program received many awards in the past it also has won the PTPA seal!
I am looking forward to sharing more information with you over the next two months as we dive into the world of online security – make sure to follow #ESETProtects for all the latest information!
ESET is extending a 15% coupon for their Security Software for the next two months to all of you! Follow this link to take advantage of this great offer!
Disclosure: I received the product to review for this post but as always the opinions expressed are my own.