I made my own mac and cheese for the first time and was so surprised at how wonderful it turned out!! I was always worried about how time consuming it must be so I never actually made it before but it was definitely worth it.
Here is the recipe that I adapted for my family from Kraft (find the original recipe here
3 tbsp margarine
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 cups milk
2 cups of shredded cheese (my kids chose medium cheese but any of your favourite types would work – old would be great and maybe using their new cheese that is nice and hot!)
1/4 cup of Italian bread crumbs
2 1/2 cups of cooked elbow pasta
1) Melt margarine in a large pan (I actually used my wok – I love the size of it and it cooks food so well!) on low to medium heat.
2) Stir in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, remembering to stir constantly.
3) Stir in milk and continue to stir until it thickens. This took roughly five to seven minutes for me.
4) Stir in 1 and 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
5) Add elbow pasta and stir so that the cheese sauce is spread out all over the pasta.
6) Grease a casserole dish and add in the pasta. Top with 1/2 cup of cheese and the bread crumbs.
7) Bake in the oven at 350F for ten minutes (or until the cheese is nicely melted).