Spinach and Sweet Pepper Scrambled Eggs
Eggs are such an important part of our diet in our home. Not only are they great for breakfast but eggs make great snacks and are excellent in wraps!
Lately, I have been trying to simplify and ‘clean’ up some of my basic recipes. I am by no means an expert in clean eating and very much a beginner to this concept of eating. The ideas behind clean eating make so much sense! Slowly, I have been adding in clean eating meals for my family by using ideas from The Everything Eating Clean Cookbook.
A lot of the recipes in the cookbook are taking a couple of tries to encourage my children to try them. This recipe is one of my own favourites that I enjoy on a regular basis and is perfect to take with you on the way to work or on the go in the morning. I got the idea to make it clean from the cookbook (adding the Greek yogurt instead of mayo – I had never heard of this before!) but the basics are my personal favourite way to enjoy scrambled eggs!
– 1/4 green pepper finely cut
– 1/2 cup of washed spinach
– 4 egg whites (I prefer the liquid egg whites from Burnbrae farms – if you use this just use half of their container)
– 2 whole wheat tortillas
– 1/2 tsp of plain Greek yogurt
– 1/2 tsp of extra virgin olive oil
– 1/4 tomato as toppings
1. In a medium frying pan add in olive oil and green pepper and allow to cook for roughly two minutes. Add in spinach. Cook until the green peppers are golden brown or soft.
2. Add in egg whites and cook thoroughly.
3. Spread 1/2 tsp of plain Greek yogurt on one side of each tortilla.
4. Once the scrambled eggs are done cooking add them on top of the tortilla. Add the tomatoes on top in the way you prefer (whole slices or diced).
At this point you can either turn it into a wrap or make something similar to a quesadilla. If you opt for the quesadilla you will have to either bake it in the oven or on the stove top.