Turkey and Veggie Sloppy Joes
I made up my own version of sloppy joes last night and it was a hit! My eldest had no idea how many different veggies he was eating or that he was even eating mince turkey! I wanted to try out a different type of meat and turkey was an excellent option! I am one of those people that add items to suit how the meal is turning out (i.e.) added spinach at the last moment to add some more green into the meal – but here is an idea of what I did:
- – package of Maple Leaf prime mince turkey
- – 1/2 of a red, orange and yellow pepper, cut thinly
- – 1 cup of mushrooms
- – 1 cup of thinly sliced carrots
- – 1 cup of thinly sliced celery
- – 1/2 bundle of fresh, washed and chopped spinach
- – 1 medium onion
- – 1 1/2 tbsp (approx.) of extra virgin olive oil
- – 1 jar of tomato sauce (we can our own every September so it is just pure tomato but any tomato sauce can work!)
1. Saute peppers, onions, carrots, celery and mushrooms in a pot with the extra virgin oil.
2. Add mince turkey and brown.
3. Add chopped spinach and cook for an additional two minutes.
4. Add tomato sauce and allow to simmer for twenty minutes. You can always add pepper/salt or garlic to taste but I found it had lots of flavour as is.
We served ours on a bed of rice.
Our boys loved this recipe so much and had three bowls each! This was definitely a hit in our home and I will be making it again soon!.