DIY Christmas Advent Calendar
December 1st is just around the corner and every year we like to count down to Christmas Eve in a special way.
This year we made our own Advent calendar (along with their Kinder chocolate calendars – we can’t not have those ones!). We put together a list of all the activities we wanted to do together as a family before Christmas and began our new craft.
You will need:
- Christmas bowl, basket or bucket
- 24 candy canes
- white paper (or a colour of your own choosing)
- hole puncher
Print out your choice of daily activities for the month. Some of them we repeated (like the crafts, cookie baking and colouring).
Cut out each item into a rectangular shape. Fold the paper in half. Using a hole punch put a hole in the top left corner.
Cut out twenty four equal lengths of ribbon.
Thread the ribbon through each rectangular note and tie each one onto one candy cane for a total of twenty four times.
Number each note making sure you are being realistic with what you will be able to accomplish for each day of the month – we knew we wouldn’t be able to build a gingerbread house during the week so these activities were saved for the weekend.
After they are numbered place them decoratively in your bin or basket and display in a prominent place in your home.
Ideas for your family activities (we repeated a couple of these because they are so much fun!):
- write a Santa letter and mail
- make homemade tree ornaments
- bake cupcakes
- colour in a Christmas colouring book
- watch a Christmas movie with popcorn
- read Christmas books together
- bake Christmas cookies
- put together a Christmas gift for our teacher
- build a gingerbread house together
- visit Santa Claus
- have a Christmas-sing-a-long
- bake cookies for Santa
- hot chocolate and movie night
- wrap family gifts
- put on a Christmas play at home
- crafts together
Most importantly – have fun with your ideas! How do you like to count down to Christmas?