I wanted to try out a leaner cut of meat for dinner and I had spotted Maple Leaf extra lean ground chicken on sale at Walmart two weeks ago. I picked up a couple of packages (how I wish I had stocked up then!!).
We decided to try making patties with the ground chicken. The texture of the meat was different than what I was used to when I make my own beef patties so I had to adjust my usual recipe to accommodate the difference.
These were a surprising hit with my family. My youngest loved it as it held together when I cut it into smaller pieces but when he bit into the piece it was still soft. My eldest was a bit pickier, possibly because he knew it was chicken versus beef but he still ate one burger.
I decided to make another batch of patties today and wanted to share the recipe. Here is what I did:
– two packages of extra lean ground chicken
– Italian style bread crumbs (my personal preference as it eliminates having to add the Parmesan and spices later)
– 1/2 medium onion chopped finely
– 1 shaved carrot
– 1 medium egg
1) Combine ground chicken and egg, mix well.
2) Add bread crumbs – again the amount varies based on the texture of the meat. For this meal I used a 1/2 cup of bread crumbs. I usually continue to add more until the meat thickens and sticks together.
3) Add the onions and shaved carrots and mix well.